Monday, August 31, 2009

District 9


I’m not really a sci-fi geek. I enjoyed “Star Wars” and I remember being addicted to the series “V” back in the day, and I loved the new “Star Trek” movie, but I wouldn’t call myself an avid fan. It’s all amusing and fun but that’s where it ends for me. I did, however, really enjoy “District 9.” It’s an alien movie, plain and simple, shot documentary-style and is extremely innovative and well done. I think these days it’s hard to put together an alien story without recycling ideas, just as it is with vampire and werewolf stories. Aliens in “District 9” like cat food, just like they did in “V” (as my darling husband pointed out). Vamps in “True Blood” opt for True Blood vs. arbitrary killing, just like the “vegetarians” of “Twilight,” who have risen above their basic needs. And once you get past the initial “how and why” plot holes, you can really enjoy yourself. The prawn-like aliens were amazingly well-designed and super-intelligent, even though they lived like dogs. The human/prawn interactions were suspense-filled and possibly allegorical, since this took place in South Africa, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to notice apartheid references throughout. Without spoiling it, the ending leaves ample room for a sequel (or five). I will be waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment