Sunday, August 23, 2009

Inglourious Basterds




I'm not a big Brad Pitt fan. I kind of never thought he was attractive or sexy or interesting. I still don't. I am a big Quentin Tarantino fan, however. I loved the Kill Bill movies and thought Grindhouse was oodles of fun. Pulp Fiction is still one of the best movies ever made. Reservoir Dogs still haunts me to this day. I went in to see Basterds with no expectations. I had read a little about it and had an open mind. I didn't expect to love it. Brad's Aldo Raine, leader of the pack of misfits out for Nazi scalps was absolutely spot-on hilarious. Brad seriously needs to stick to comedy. The last time I enjoyed him so much since Fight Club was in Burn After Reading. He's amazing at being cleverly retarded. The ying to Brad's yang was Christoph Waltz, the "Jew Hunter" who you instantly feared. His performance was simultanously dreadfully tense and comically delightful.

I enjoyed the fact that Inglourious Basterds doesn't take itself seriously for one moment. It has the usual brand of Tarantino pulpy over-the-topness but this was one of the most well done things he's directed since Pulp Fiction in my humble avid moviegoer opinion. It's a fictionalized account of a WWII story, but it should have happened. Who knew killing Nazis could have been so much fun?!

No comments:

Post a Comment