Friday, September 18, 2009

Pappardelle with Meat Ragu


Pappardelle is one of my top 3 favorite pasta shapes of all time - the other two are rigatoni and linguini. I got this fresh from Fairway in Red Hook, Brooklyn. It was my first time making the fresh, flat, noodley pasta at home - normally I get this when eating out but when I saw it in the huge, fresh refrigerated pasta department I knew i had to try it. It was absolutely delish, and supereasy to make - the only issue was when I boiled the pasta I think my pot was too small because there was some sticktogetherage. But it cooked in less than 4 minutes and was just as good as any restaurant's fresh pasta...a little thicker than what I'm used to but, let's get real here. Nothing beats fresh pasta.

I made the ragu from 1 box of Pomi chopped tomatoes, 1 lb. grass-fed ground sirloin, a few drizzles of truffle-infused olive oil (to give it a little more of a pork-y flavor), garlic, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, and fresh basil and parsley from my very own herb garden...and of course, salt and pepper. Don't forget the grated parm! If you have it, throw in some ground pork or sausage. Even better than pork, is wild boar. No wild boar handy in my freezer, unfortunately, but it makes an amazing ragu for pappardelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment