Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Good Ramen



What makes the good ramen good, vs. the cheap supermarket kind? Well, for one thing, the noodles are dried, not fried. I use Myojo Chukazanmai Japanese Style Noodles With Soup Base. They cost about $1.75 a packet and if you split it in two, it's manageable for two giant bowls of amazingness, otherwise it can be a big overwhelming with all the stuff I add. I usually add a ton of veggies, cilantro or watercress and a protein or two (salmon and tofu are my fave combo) but you can do anything here. I also throw in some sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes, and sometimes some light soy (light in color, not sodium) for extra zing. You can add a raw egg at the end. The swirly fishcake is great too. The key to making this taste fresh and clean is to cook it to boil and then turn it off and serve. This does not need much cooking. Just boil for a moment and eat while watching the movie Tompopo asap!

I found this amazing blog - apparently this ramen is very popular with the noodle-obsessed - read on for details:

http://foodnerd.org/2009/02/04/ramen-review-myojo-chukazanmai/

4 comments:

  1. Always love your blog!!!
    By the way, as he says Chuka means Chinese and Zanmai means luxury in flavor, noodles, texture, smell, and so on. You cook the same way I do!! Like adding lots of vegetables and some other secret spices. :D You ROCK Beccer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks Kumiko!!!! We miss you here in the US!! xxoxxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to Ippudo. Ramen is delicious and so are the Pork Buns. Long wait though, and no reservations.
    http://www.ippudo.com/ny/

    JASON P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost ate there a few times but the wait killed me...I will definitely try it though before I die. :D

    ReplyDelete